Thursday, April 14, 2016

Course Reflections

I have thoroughly enjoyed taking this course over the last semester. I wasn't sure what to expect when I signed up, I just knew that the course title sounded interesting and I had some friends tell me they really enjoyed it. Well starting with our first mythology and folklore readings in the second week, and upon rewriting my own story tale I knew I was going to gain so much from this course.

I think I am most proud of my work on my storybook. This was basically a semester long project where I created a storybook site and then filled it with a few story retellings that had a common theme. I started off very worried about not being able to pick a good topic or to make things flow, but then my mother suggested a storybook about garden creatures. I started playing with the idea and my professor for this course, Laura, loved it as well. Now as I am doing my last round of final revisions for the whole storybook, I am so proud of this project. I plan to leave it online for forever. And, I will be showing my family the next time I go home, I know they will be super proud too!

Some other things from this course that I will take away with me are a strengthened intellectual curiosity for the cultures and history of other places and people groups. Simpler than that, another thing I will take with me is all of the nursery rhymes and short stories that I learned. I hope to be able to share lots of these with my own kiddos and with my friends kiddos one day. I also learned over the past couple of weeks how to plan out your work time and then I got better at sticking with my schedule and getting my work done early. I also think that I have made some good friends in this course and that I got to know more of the OU student body. One of the things I will remember most though is my teacher, Laura. We didn't physically interact with her in a classroom setting, but I was always so excited to get an email back from her because I could tell she was a kind soul that genuinely wanted us to have fun and learn a lot in this course.

So, thank you Laura Gibbs! You rock and this class was a million times better because of your passion for the subject matter and your constant encouragement and guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment