Thursday, March 31, 2016

Week 10 Storytelling: An Indian Love Story

"Wait, daddy, before you tuck us in could you tell us about how you and mommy met?" asked the daughter.

"Hmmmm that's an interesting bedtime request... let me see if your mom wants to join in for this one, hold on just a second," said the father.

The dad left the room to go and get the mom. Just as he was leaving the little brother came running into the sister's room.

"Did I hear that dad is going to tell us a story?! Count me in!" said the little brother as he jumped onto his sister's bed.

The two of them got comfy and sat up in bed to wait for their parents to come back. The dad along with the mom entered back into the room and sat down at the end of the bed.

Siblings ready for story time  
"Okay, now that we're all here, you said you wanted to hear about how me and your mom fell in love?" asked the dad.

"Yes!" exclaimed both the kids.

"Well alrighty then, I'll start and your mom will chime in if I start to mess it up," said the dad.

           "Your mother and her sister were the daughters of a very powerful, rich Indian chief. They were beautiful young ladies, and it was about the time that they were of an age to marry that I first saw your mom. You see, I was the sun up in the sky, and my sister, your aunt, was the stars in the sky. We would look down on all the people each day, and one day I happened to see your mother. I saw her standing outside of their families tipi, and a crowd of suitors surrounded her and her sister. However, no matter how many men would ask for their hands in marriage, both your mother and her sister rejected them. I was pretty perplexed, especially when so many of the suitors came bringing jewels, riches, and animals. That's when my sister and I decided we would go down and visit earth and see what these two girls were about.
           To visit Earth, my sister and I had to take on human forms. So during the night we set up a raggedy old tipi for ourselves and I become a boy, a poor dirty boy, while my sister took the form of my very elderly grandmother. When daylight came a crowd of people gathered around our tipi and I could hear them whispering while I laid inside on my pallet; I had a bum leg so I couldn't ever leave that pallet. I heard something about an upcoming competition to win the chiefs daughters, and I told my sister/grandmother to enter me in the competition.
           Four days later the competition happened. It was an arrow shooting contest and we each got two shots to hit a certain eagle perched high up in a tree. My sister/grandmother made me a bow and arrow and pulled the door open on our tipi, from laying on my pallet I shot and hit the eagle... I had won the competition. The chief saw me win but I guess he didn't want to give his daughters to a dirty, sick boy so he declared that there would be another competition and that the next time the winner would for sure win his daughters.
           The next competition was to go up to a mountain pond and set two traps to catch fish, the man who caught a fish would win. I, of course, couldn't make the trek up the mountain so I had my sister/grandmother make me cages and we set them outside our tipi on dry land. The next morning when we awoke my sister/grandmother checked the traps and both of mine were full of fish. When the other men came down from the mountain none of them had caught any fish so I was the winner... again.
           This time the chief sent his daughters to me, but on the way your mother's sister went into the tipi of the Raven family and she married one of their sons. Your mother on the other hand came to my tipi and she became my wife. I was sick and my sister/grandmother told her I was going to die soon so she should go sleep in her father's tipi every night but come and take care of me during the day. She did this for three days and never complained.
           On the fourth night my sister and I decided it was time for us to transform back into our true forms. So, that night our cruddy tipi became brand new and exquisite, my elderly sister turned into a young beautiful sister and I turned into a handsome, healthy young man. When morning came the village was shocked. Your mother came back to take care of me as usual, but was confused at what she saw. My sister greeted her at the door and assured her that I, the now handsome man, was her husband. She came in and sat beside me and she was glad.
           I had the mark of the sun on the back of my hand, and my sister had the mark of a star. I wanted your mother to officially be a part of our family so I dipped her hand into a pot of gold dust and stars covered the back of her hand. Now that I could walk your mother and I got officially married and she fell even more in love with me," said the father as he held the mother's hand.

"Awwwwwww" said the children in unison.

"Yes it is pretty 'awwwww' I would say. Your mother has always had a heart of gold and I love her for that," said the father. And then the parents kissed.

"Ewww get a room," said the daughter.

The mom and dad got up, tucked the kids in, turned off the lights and closed the door "Goooooodniiiiight," said mom and dad.


Author's Note: The Originals story was called "Dirty Boy." In the story the sun and the star of the sky looked upon a village with 2 beautiful girls of the chief who rejected all their suitors. The sun and star went down to earth to see what the two women were about/if the sun could marry them. They made themselves a poor persons hut and the sun became a dirty, sick boy, the stars his old grandmother. The chief had two competitions for his daughters suitor and dirty boy won them both. Finally the chief gave the daughters to him. The eldest disobeyed and married a raven man. The youngest tended to the dirty boy for three days, then on the fourth day the sun and star took on their true form and made a beautiful home, become young and healthy and handsome. The bride was pleased and they lived happily. He gave her stars on her body like they had. As you can see I didn't change many of the original stories elements, I just changed by whom the story was told. I also thought I would try to make it more of a love story and I picked the dad as the story teller because he would know the most since he was the "dirty boy." I also added in some dialogue to make it flow better and to make it easier to picture the story setting of a bedtime love story.  

Bibliography: "The Dirty-Boy" from Tales of the North American Indians by Stith Thompson (1929). Web source

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow …this is an amazing story to read. I really enjoyed reading every word in it. I like how you brought the original story to our new life in very great way. While I was reading, I felt like I was sitting with the kids and listening to the story and I want to know what happened next in this story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you set the tone for the story with the kids at the beginning! It added an extra layer to your storytelling that enhances the overall reading experience. You are very creative in your writing styles. It was fun and enjoyable to read and i can't wait to read it to my two nieces.

    ReplyDelete