Sunday, January 31, 2016

Possible Storybook Topics


This week I started thinking about my final project for the class. We have the option of either an online story book or a portfolio of our best work for the semester. To get the ball rolling, I researched some topics and thought of four that I might like to make into my final project.

1. A Dogs Diary of Doing Things
In this story book, my four Pekingese dogs could become the main characters of the stories that I most liked to read. This would change the context of things and make all the stories happen in a dog's world. Furthermore, I think it would be interesting to tell the stories from the dog's diaries. This way there could be a lot more thoughts and feelings from the dogs. 
Research so far: My professor gave me this example of another student using his fish as the heros/heroines in his retold stories: Fishy Portfolio. I thought it was a pretty interesting idea. I have read some short fables already about dogs that I could retell from a dog's diary. Also I know there would be other stories where I could change the people to dogs and it would make for some really funny content.

2. The Magic Garden
This storybook could focus on some story/stories of garden gnomes, fairies, pixies, garden sprites, trolls, elves, etc. I remember movies about tiny creatures in a forest setting, like in Bridge to Terabethia, being really intriguing to me. Plus my mom is a florist and we always have beautiful gardens surrounding our house and in our backyard, which I think would be really cool to think of as the context for a story.
Research so far: I have searched for fairytales about fairys and gnomes and haven't had much luck locating them, but I know they have to be out there somewhere. If you have any guidance for finding these sources please let me know!.. I would like to pursue this topic further if I can find some great sources!

3. Brazilian Monkey Tales
I went to Brazil this summer to study abroad, and while there I saw monkeys pretty much everywhere we visited. I first thought about doing my storybook over Brazilian myths/folktales at the suggestion of my teacher. Then in a lot of Brazilian tales I researched, a monkey was the main character. I also thought about how when we see monkeys depicted in movies, etc, they are always pretty interesting and mischievous little characters. Therefore, I thought choosing tales about them would be really fun to learn about and then to retell. My idea is to have a grandpa monkey telling his grandkids how rebellious he had been using the themes from Brazilian folktales.
Research so far: I searched Fairy Tales from Brazil and found lots of interesting stories, quite a few of them were about monkeys. I also searched the previous storybooks from this class about found this one: Tales from the Bayou that was about a grandma telling stories of her time and interactions in the bayou... I thought something like this would be good to mimic for mine, but making it about a grandpa monkey telling of his adventures.

4. The Bachelor: Princess edition.
I am a big fan of the Bachelor/Bachelorette television shows, and I am also a big fan of Disney princess movies. Naturally I thought "why not combine the two?" I would like to discover some princesses that maybe I haven't heard of yet and have their stories come through in their contestant descriptions. I think it would be interesting to put the princesses all in a house together and see how they compete for a prince's love. Also, in the end of the series the bachelor (prince) visits the girl's hometowns, so it could be cool to do that scene and have him visit, for example, Ariel's home under the sea.
Research so far: I searched through mythology and folklore story book topics to the section about fairy tales and discovered lots of stories of princess I was familiar with and some I wasn't. I know there are quite a few beyond the reach that Disney could make into movies, and I think it would be interesting to learn about more princesses.

Screen grab of princesses from Shrek the 3rd movie

No comments:

Post a Comment