Wednesday, January 20, 2016

UnTextbook Overview- Initial Choices


Week 2 classical reading: Aesop for children (Winter)

I am a big fan of fables and the mini lessons that each of them teach. That is one of the things that drew me to these Aesop fables. I think it would be neat to learn these fables now and have them as stories to possibly tell in the future to kids.

Week 3 biblical reading: Jewish Fairy Tales

This unit caught my attention because the fairy tales are a spin on traditional bible stories, as well as others found in Jewish history, that I know very well. I think it would be interesting to see how those real depictions of events could be changed into fairy tales.

Image taken from the fable The Giant of the flood found in the Jewish Fairy Tales unit.

Possible future readings:

22 Goblins
The title for this one initially intrigued me and then upon reading the overview section I knew I wanted to read this whole unit to learn the goblins tales and the riddles he left the main character with.

Robin Hood
I have always been a fan of Robin Hood the movie. I want to read this unit to see if the traditional tales of Robin Hood differ greatly from the version I currently know.

Infancy Gospels
Again the title of the unit caught my attention. The overview said the unit featured some stories of the miracles Jesus performed as a baby and other things that weren't put in the bible, so I want to see what those things are.

Sioux Legends
I have always been interested in the Sioux tribe. I did a report over them in a human relations class last year and I want to continue to expand my knowledge of the Sioux tribe. They are a pretty radical group so I figure the legends will be wildly interesting as well.

Alice's Looking Glass
I love Alice in Wonderland and have heard Alice's Looking glass is a good story as well. This class finally gives me the perfect time to read it and see what it's all about.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, you picked so many great reading units to look at, Madison - and I am especially glad you picked 22 Goblins. I am a huge fan of that book, and the translation is by Arthur Ryder, the first American professor of Sanskrit. He taught Sanskrit at Berkeley, where I also went to school, so whenever I checked an old Sanskrit book out from the Library, I always wondered if maybe Arthur Ryder had also held that same book in his hands. If you end up liking that book, the Panchatantra (another one of the India options) is also an Arthur Ryder translation!

    ReplyDelete